The Nurse Psychotherapist Certificate Training program is open to Registered Nurses, Registered Practical Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, and Licensed Practical Nurses only.
Psychotherapy is a controlled act in which nurses who are trained in performing the treatment and skills can practice independently in community settings or in private practice without a medical directive.
This course is aimed at training nurses to obtain the necessary skills, judgement and experience to perform the controlled act of psychotherapy independently.
The course is offered via online hybrid for 1 year in collaboration with the College of Health Studies located in Brampton Ontario where the nurse will be trained in psychotherapy modalities, for mental health disorders including depression and anxiety. The nurse will learn theory, skills, judgement and will practice under the clinical supervision of an experienced nurse psychotherapist or registered psychotherapist.
Topics Covered include:
· The Role of The Nurse Psychotherapist practicing the controlled act of psychotherapy in private practice, community, and in a hospital setting
· Establishing The Therapeutic Relationship
· Invitational Interviewing
· Diagnostic Assessment
· Formulating Goals
· Cognitive Interventions
· Behavioural Interventions
· Depression and Anxiety disorders
· Anxiety Disorders Specific Models and treatment protocol
· Psychoeducation and Group Therapy
· Report writing and Documentation
· Maintaining Clinical Gains, Preventing Setbacks, and Relapse prevention
· Starting a psychotherapist business as a Nurse Psychotherapist
Course duration is 750 hours online, to be completed in 1 year. Course includes: providing direct client care, case studies, providing individual treatment, and facilitating supervised psychotherapy group sessions with client consents. 100 hours of clinical supervision will be provided under the mentor ship of an experienced nurse psychotherapist or Registered Psychotherapist. Clinical Supervision and support will be provided throughout the program and after the nurse completes the program.
Upon completion of the program, the Nurse Psychotherapist Certification will be awarded and nurses will be able to use the protected title CNP - Certified Nurse Psychotherapist.
If you are interested please fill out the contact form and submit the form
We love our customers, so feel free to visit during normal business hours.
6,295 Queen Street East, Suite 243, Brampton Ontario L6W 4S6
09:00 a.m. – 05:00 p.m.